Hello and Welcome!

Moderators: Me, haerae15, mollegra, LADR

Hello and Welcome!

Postby LADR » 01.05.15 - 12.02 am

Hello and welcome to the Joy Project relaunch chat! We thought we would start the evening off by "checking in" to see who was in our audience! A couple questions to answer: 1) whats your experience with the message boards? 2) Where are you in your journey of recovery 3) Fun Fact about yourself!
It is through gratitude for the present moment that the spiritual dimension of life opens up.
Eckhart Tolle
LADR
soil

Re: Hello and Welcome!

Postby Gree37 » 01.05.15 - 12.09 am

Hello everyone!

I have been using the message boards for about 3 months. I am one of the moderators and look forward to chatting with you! :)

I have a family member who is recovered from an eating disorder. I like to be a part of the supportive community for eating disorders because I wish my family member had more support when they entered the treatment process.

An interesting thing about myself is I love to travel and have been out of the country 3 times. I hope to go to Greece someday! :dance:
Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Gree37
water

Postby LADR » 01.05.15 - 12.15 am

Hello as well! I have been using the message boards for about 4 months (wish I started sooner) because I find them very helpful! I am also one of the moderators!

I have had an eating disorder for most of my life and have been in recovery (virtually symptom free) for about 2.5 years. I have been to several treatments and found the Joy Project support groups to be very helpful. I love to be a part of an organization that is actively working towards solutions for eating disorder research, treatment, and support.

A fun fact about myself is I am a dual-citizen with Canada and I LOVE my cat named Mu. :meow:
It is through gratitude for the present moment that the spiritual dimension of life opens up.
Eckhart Tolle
LADR
soil

Postby LADR » 01.05.15 - 12.23 am

So if you jump in the chat later no problem! But here are a couple things we wanted to go over...

Rules
Since this is a recovery-oriented forum, we do need a few guidelines for the safety of our members.

We ask that you avoid giving any tips n' tricks. By this we mean posts that are intended to help someone engage in negative or harmful behaviors or behaviors that promote further self-destruction. And we also ask that in the recovery-related portions of the site, that you avoid bringing up stats or other very triggering info unless it is necessary for you to communicate your thoughts. (Giving stats just for the sake of giving stats, without any other purpose, should be avoided as much as possible.) "Thinspiration" of any kind is not tolerated nor are reverse triggers. Posting of "pro-anorexic" website links is also not tolerated, but discussion on the matter is okay.

If you are posting potentially triggering content, we ask that you mark your post with a -t- to warn others of potential triggering content.

If you are being extremely graphic, please use a -g-

We also ask that you help maintain the safe and open atmosphere by NOT flaming/bullying/harrassing other members - either directly on the forum, through private messages, or through aim/email. If you have a problem with a member, please bring it up with them directly through PM, or contact an Admin. We want everyone to feel safe here, and we want to maintain an atmosphere of trust and security.

We also ask that you do not post anything posted at this forum elsewhere - in your online journal, another forum, anywhere. You may post something you have written, but not another members' post - whether that post was directed at you or not. Members posts/threads are copyright to their respective authors.

This is meant to be a close community so we ask that if you join, please be active and contribute. The internet can feel really detached and like everyone can read what is going on with you. So in order to make this a safer environment we encourage members to post and to get to know eachother. We will randomly do member prunings - with or without notice for members that have zero posts (cumalative).

Also since this is a more recovery oriented forum. We ask that you not make individual picture threads. This can lead to people feeling triggered and like they don't belong here because they don't look like that certain person who has a 30 page long picture thread. If you would like to post pictures of yourself please do so in your diary. But have some tact and not have them be "ana pose" pictures.

Of course, you may always write about whatever you want in your own personal diary.

Given that this is an internet-based community, we ask that if you have intentionally tried to commit suicide, or feel you are in danger of doing so, please do not post it here. We do not know your full name or location, and we are not equipped to help out in that situation. Any post containing an imminent suicide threat will be deleted and replaced with numbers to national suicide hotlines, which we hope will be of more benefit to the poster. This also goes for serious self-harm threats/images of self-harm.

Please understand that the members of this forum come from a variety of backgrounds and educations and ages. Discussion into various "hot topics" are okay, but please be considerate when posting direct links.

BREAKING THE RULES/GUIDELINES
If you are caught breaking any of the set forth rules/guidelines, you will be suspended/banned with or without notice. The decision to do so is firm until an investigation of the problem that caused the suspension/banning is complete. The rules/guidelines are here for a reason and we just ask that you respect them. The outcome of whatever the admins decision is - is final. Do not go to another admin seeking another resolution because the first decision was reached as a partnership and will stand.

Any questions?
Eckhart Tolle
LADR
soil

Postby LADR » 01.05.15 - 12.31 am

A little information about the different types of forums.... The forum I moderate the most if Daily Challenges and Contests. This forum is my favorite because it gives fun and challenging tasks to work towards in a day or week. This week the challenge was trying a new hobby! Other challenges might include trying a challenging food, journaling for a day, or doing something for self-care. A new challenges is typically posted once a week and you can find them by clicking on the "Daily Challenges and Contests" on the home page under the forum names! Any suggestions for posts are always welcome! :mrgreen:
Eckhart Tolle
LADR
soil

Postby LADR » 01.05.15 - 12.56 am

Information about the other forums can be found on when you click within each forum and click "information" about this forum. Please feel free to leave any suggestions, feedback, or questions!
Eckhart Tolle
LADR
soil

Postby KrAzYpenguin » 01.05.15 - 6.03 am

Hey everyone!

1) I joined April 27th, 2009! WOW (yes, I looked that up haha) I was pretty active a few years ago, but posted less as it started dying down and I felt like I was talking to myself haha.

2) Ummm... Better than I was before I got pregnant in some ways, but still heavily struggling. Not where I need to be. I am currently searching out a Counselor to talk to about my past (which I would see once a month) and I see a nutritionist once a month. Thats all my insurance covers.

3) I am obsessed with my daughter, penguins, coffee, and music =]
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Sara Joy
KrAzYpenguin
stem

Postby mollegra » 03.05.15 - 7.31 pm

I am posting late sorry ! The chat wasn't working out for me. I moderate the Recovery Central forum. It's one of the larger forums on the site. We will cover a broad range of recovery related topics so come check in regularly and post often!!

I've been a member of The JoyProject since December 2014. My desire to work with the organization sparked after being regular attendee of the Monday night support group. Once I got to a place where I felt solid in my own recovery I realized that my story was meant to be shared with others. I am working toward a Masters Degree in Social Work which I plan to use in the treatment of eating disorders. Now I am here to lend support to all of you!
mollegra
water

Postby LADR » 05.06.15 - 1.42 am

Wanting to get a pulse: would people be interested in weekly chats on the same day/time for facilitate open discussion about recovery? Thoughts?
Eckhart Tolle
LADR
soil

Postby BBB » 05.06.15 - 5.31 am

Hi!

1. I have perused the message boards a bit off and on. I often go many weeks without visiting because I do forget they're here then I read a ton of stuff and post a few things. I will try to work on checking in more frequently.

2. Recovery wise I am symptom free and have been for over a year. I have been in some sort of formal treatment since about 2010. I am passionate about mental health and supporting people struggling with a mental health issue. I currently attend the Joy Project Meetings rather regularly to hopefully support others. I am a firm believer that I would not be the person I am today without my eating disorder. I am still struggling to find my identity. Although having an ED sucks, it gave me some perspective in my life and helped shaped my current view of the world. I am still working on re-developing through processes to overcome things such as all or nothing approaches, having more than one truth at the same moment, getting overwhelmed when feeling out of control, etc.

3. Fun fact- I love to thrift shop!

Weekly chat- I would maybe be interested but since I have a hard enough time keeping up with remember to visit JPO I don't know if I would be the most active member. I am much better about committing to something in-person.
BBB
water

Postby svitale1 » 13.02.16 - 3.10 am

Hello all. Im Stephanie originally from NY but live in MN now. I have been struggling with an eating disorder since I was 16. It got progressively worse when my grandfather died and I ran off to work two jobs both of which took a toll on me and put me hard into eating disorder behaviors. I was in treatment for two weeks but the counselor felt I needed more support than they can give me and WS convinced I only came there for support and to have people to talk to. She did not even think I had an eating disorder. This was frustrating because I got out and my symptoms won't fade. I was doing pretty well with only two slip ups in treatment for two weeks and now I'm slipping everyday. Before treatment I slipped 3-6 times a day but now it's less but I still feel out of control. I want to go back into treatment but how can I when the therapist thought I was just there for support. Im so confused and I jut could use some support. Thank you all for your inspiring stories. It means a lot.
svitale1
seed

Postby LADR » 02.03.16 - 5.42 pm

Hello! That seems like a stressful and confusing place to be. From my experience, finding a good fit with a therapist is important. I have felt invalidated and misunderstood by therapists before, but have then also found support and understanding by others. I encourage you to be an advocate for yourself and if you feel like you need treatment then pursue it! Finding my voice was the most helpful and life changing things in my recovery. Hope things start looking up!
Eckhart Tolle
LADR
soil

Postby Daisy221 » 02.06.17 - 10.47 am

Hello there, I am Daisy Simpson, a university professor,and I like to believe that I'm a very good professional freelance writer.
Daisy221
seed

Return to 4.30.15 CHAT is in here!